On October 3rd, 1937, a new possibility opened up for young Catholic women in The Bahamas when three local young women of New Providence answered the call to enter religious life.
The women were formed and guided by the Sisters of Charity from Mount St. Vincent, New York and the Benedictine priests from St. John’s Abbey in Minnesota.
In 1962 the Sisters of St. Martin joined the Benedictine Community of St. Benedict’s Convent of St. Joseph, Minnesota. They became a part of a great Monastic Community with a tradition that dates its origin to the sixth century following the rule and customs of its founder, St. Benedict and his twin sister Scholastica, in the Caves of Subiaco, Italy. We became an independent Monastery in 1994.